My Casa Bella

COME IN THE EVENING, OR COME IN THE MORNING;

COME WHEN YOU'RE LOOK'D FOR,

OR COME WITHOUT WARNING.

KISSES AND WELCOME YOU'LL FIND BEFORE YOU,

AND THE OFTENER YOU COME HERE

THE MORE I'LL ADORE YOU!

-Thomas Osbourne Davis



Welcome To My Casa Bella

My Casa Bella- means-my beautiful home- but it can mean so many other things. How you make your home a home. The sounds of children or pets playing. The aroma of scones in the oven or a lilac candle burning. The flowers blooming in your garden. The home grown vegetables ready to be picked. Grandma's quilt at the foot of the bed. A fire to curl up to with a good book. Or just a family spending time together with love, laughter and a good time.





















Thursday, July 2, 2009

Can You Take the City Out of The Girl????



If you would of told me years ago that I would be digging in dirt where worms live, and insects fly around your head and sometimes up your nose or into your ears, I would of said, "you're insane, get outta here" as New Yorkers love to say...there would be no way you would catch me outside in the dirt with bugs around me!! Why? In New York City we have fruit and veggie stands everywhere. They're just as good. I wounldn't leave the comforts of a deli in every corner where I could get my bagel and coffee and then go down the street to a fruit stand and pick up "fresh" fruit or vegetables.
Well my friends, here I am. In southcentral PA and I'm digging in dirt where worms live and an occasional bug gets up my nose. But that's ok, it's actually worth it. I find nothing more rewarding and relaxing then digging in the dirt and seeing the fruits of my labor. Right now the garden looks a little crazy. I planted 15 yes 15 tomatoes. Pepper, onions, arugala, basil, parsley, and cucumber. Why so many tomatoes, because last summer I thoroughly enjoyed making my own spaghetti sauce. Something I never thought I would do either. So this year I am making sure I have enough tomatoes to make sauce.
So, can you take the city out of the girl? No!!!! I am still a city girl at heart, and I miss it every once in awhile, but we live close enough that we can drive up to NYC and spend the weekend there. But by the end of that weekend, I look forward to coming home and digging in my garden.

I thought since I lost room in my veggie garden, I'd plant Kale out by my flower beds. I think they look pretty there. This morning as I walked around my yard taking pictures, I couldn't believe how healthy and green everything is. Of course, we've had more rain this year than any other year for years. We've had one unusual spring/summer. This morning I felt like I was in New England. This type of summer reminds me of New England Summers. Cool in the morning, a little warmer in the day and cool at night. We have yet to put in our airconditioners. My poor dad, when he and mom come to visit this weekend he will have a fit that there are no air conditioning units in the windows in our home. Now there is one person you cannot take the city out of....lol.

I planted these deep purple pansies and I love how almost black they look. I've never seened them before and I just think they're absolutely beautiful. Very mystique, I think. This should show you how cool our weather down here has been. Usually by mid June, I have to dig up all my Pansies because they get leggy and look so worn out becuase of the heat. Not this year. We're in July and they're still going strong.


These windown boxes are under my workshop windows. Which is so nice, when I sit at my work table which is in front of one of the windows, I get to see these beautiful flowers. I just love how pretty everything looks. Although I do need to get out there and weed my garden beds and veggie garden before it takes over.
But here you have it, I do love to garden, although it shouldn't be surprising since my mom loves planting as well. Although she too was born and raised in NYC, and she never had a garden, we had a mini "forest" in our apartment growing up. You had to move the plants or the vines aside if you wanted to look out the window. Mom had every window in the apartment covered in plants. Except for my room and my brothers room. If we let her she would of taken over those as well, but she didn't. So I must get my gardening bug from her. You see, I think we were meant to be country folk, but that's ok, I loved living in NYC and I love living in PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment.